Friday, April 9, 2010

Gluten Intolerant? What happened to Our Sh*t?!

So what is the deal with all this Gluten woo-hee-haw. Recently I felt I had/have a possible intolerance to Gluten products. Specfically this idea came about after becoming aware of certain digestive issues. And digestive issues, unfortunately, are the first step to more serious things like disease and sickness. So if you are facing digestive issues, I would not turn the other way. In fact I do suggest turning down more often so you may be more aware of your digestive health...

The more research I did, the more I found that I certainly am not alone on this gluten fiasco. It seems as though everyone is starting to form a gluten intolerance in their body and switching to eating every corn, rice, soy product out there (soy is another topic I can talk about for hours... to come later).

But why?

We have been eating wheat for thousands of years and all of a sudden we can't digest the stuff? It was, and still is in some places, the staple of a diet. Are humans just plain evolving poorly? Maybe. Or maybe it's how the wheat is being grown...

With the amount of chemicals used in the farming process, it's hard to be sure what long term effects they are having on food. Was there always this much backlash to new technology in farming? But there are lots of humans to feed and the structure of cities does not leave much space for growing enough of your own food to feed your immediate family. Plus I don't think the majority of people really care where their food comes from but this is, again, another topic of discussion. My point is to try not to jump on the bandwagon too quickly. Organic food products is not the end all be all to our food problems. And even eating entirely locally is not the end all be all.

Let's look at a BIG picture:

A cow is being fed antibiotics on a big cow factory. Whether or not you eat the cow, the cow sh*ts, and that sh*t will end up back in the earth, eventually. Even quicker than that, when the rain comes it will wash all the residual antibiotics back into our water system, which may very well be used to sprinkle our beloved wheat products later that year. SO, my idea here is that maybe the mass amounts of antibiotics that are being poured into our eco system, and quickly draining into well um, every product grown under the sun, may have an effect on how our body can or cannnot digest well.



Like I stated on my first post, I am no expert. I like to stress this point because I do not intend on being another lofty pretentious opinion floating through the internet that has no real backing. I don't have real backing aside from having a good set of eyes and ears (yeah I RULE). My point is to merely raise questions concerning food issues. Certainly I love bread and beer and cheeseburgers for that matter and gosh darnit wheat is in everything! The idea that I may be intolerant of those foods is hard to swallow (ba dum CHING).

So for now I will continue introducing organic Ezekiel bread into the diet, hoping those sprouted grains were unaffected by the cow's sh*t. So in turn, well, I can, umm... go to the bathroom.

My Daddy always said, "what goes in, must come out." These, my friends, are words to live by.

1 comment:

  1. Antibiotics are only one classification of drug that's showing up everywhere in water systems. All the drugs that get flushed are showing up, too. Interestingly, and this may be urban legend, certain geographic locations show a predominance of certain drug classifications. San Francisco seems to process and empty large amounts of male-libido enhancers, for example, while farther down the peninsula, residents of San Jose excrete far more tranquilizer-types of drugs. Hmmmmm . . .

    ReplyDelete