Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Feeling Low Spirited?

Do you ever wake up feeling anxious, frustrated, maybe even a little bit angry, but for no good reason? Today I woke up and was experiencing all of these feelings but with no legitamite inciting factor. It could be a multitude of reasons, whether it be dreams, hormones, or some deeper subconscious factor that has yet to be revealed. Or, it can very well be attributed to my diet. Un-surprisingly, I just got back from a series of weekend trips. First San Diego where I literally ate tacos for 3 days straight. The second weekend was Las Vegas. No other words needed. This past weekend I went on a trip to San Francisco where I explored giant sandwiches, giant plates of thai food, giant waffles... With almost 3 weeks straight of eating big, rich meals that aren't the best for the digestive tract, plus coffee throughout my trips to stay energized, things aren't looking so good.


Exhibit A: here I am today, the high of traveling coming to a close. With nothing great to look forward to in the immediate future I instantly blame my near depression to the lack of excitement in my life. But, with further self-consulation, I believe there is a bigger, greasier, caffeinated explanation. My body is in withdrawwal from eating out and I have little to no energy in return.


Right now the only thought that makes me feel happy is the thought of eating out or grabbing a cup of joe. But I just spent $90.00 at the grocery store last night to make up for even higher eating out costs which serves as a sort of nicotine patch for the foodie.


I packed a reasonable lunch: salad with ginger dressing, a nut mixture, and apple sauce. I had a big bowl of hearty cereal this morning with a cup of green tea. I should be feeling okay, right?


Currently I am considering ramming my car into oncoming traffic and feel as though I am starving to death. Man, withdrawal can be rough.


For the next week I have decided to fight the depression and get back onto a normal eating pattern. It won't be easy. I am going to eat small portions. No more coffee and no eating out for at least 2 weeks. This weekend I am going to complete a "cleanse" prescribed by Dr. Deepak Chopra from his book "Perfect Health." It includes eating a light meal Friday night, then basically only consuming small amounts of juice on Saturday with little to no exercise or movement. Then Sunday you are alloweed to slowly re-introduce a more normal diet, still eating very light foods. It's supposed to "re-start" your digestive tract. Right now I feel like I need to re-start my life.


I'm hoping this allows my body to be able to use energy not given artifically by foods with high salt, sugar, fat and caffeine contents. Eating out and traveling is fun but it definitely should be done in moderation. The ability to find happiness and energy in the everyday is what I'm working towards. I don't want my life to be a series of waiting for the fun to come to me. I want to learn to make the fun for myself at all times of the day and all days of the week. Plus withdrawal sucks.


I'll let you know how I'm doing in a week from now. Hopefully I can stay clean for the time being...




1 comment:

  1. put a feed widget on here so deano can follow from his googley page, please

    ReplyDelete