Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Best Lentils Recipe in the World!

Hello lovely friends- I know, I can't believe it's almost been two weeks since I started my new blog, and have only posted once. It's hard, people! Give me a break. But seriously, work got really busy and I had this visitor and the (insert excuse here) took over.

ALAS! I will enlighten you with a delicious and fulfilling Lentils recipe CREDITED to my wonderful, charming and handsome (single, too) brother Andrew.
This recipe makes a LOT of lentils, so put aside a large tupperware for storing in the fridge. Of course, you can cut down the recipe to make less. But the recipe re-heats so well for lunches why not make the whole darn thing?!

I made it last night and made a few adjustments. For example, Ralph's doesn't carry Mustard powder so I opted out. I know it can be expensive to buy all those spices at once if you don't have them hanging around your kitchen. But, at the same time it's great to have them hanging around your kitchen because you can get more creative while you cook your next meal! So use your judgment, and feel free to add in other veggies and see what fits.

LENTILS*
*these are Andre
w's words that I edited.

INGREDIENTS

1 lb. bag green lentils (red works too, green tastes better)

1 yellow onion

1 garlic bulb

fresh ginger (a palm's length worth)

olive oil or salted butter

turmeric powder

cumin

mustard powder

coconut milk

4 medium sized tomatoes

spinach (a
lot!)
slivered almonds

cayenne pepper

brown rice

salt


Cook the lentils according to bagged instructions. 1 lb. should be just about 2 full cups, and you need around 8 cups of water. It seems like a lot, but the lentils soak it up! Add about 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder to the water and stir it up, cover with a lid, medium to low heat, and leave it be.


While your lentils are a boilin, chop your onion, and mince your (whole) garlic bulb and ginger. In a frying pan (I suggest cast iron pan) use a hearty amount of olive oil (or salted butter if you're feelin' frisky!) and give them all a good sautee. While this is sauteeing, add the cumin and mustard powder, to your discretion, you can always add in more later so I would say about a 1/2-1 tablespoon of both now.

By now the lentils should be close to
done (have soaked up almost all of the water). Toss in your onion, garlic and ginger mixture in the pot with the lentils. Pour in about 1/4 cup of coconut milk, or more if you like things really creamy.

Let that simmer while you chop your tomatoes (chunky), then proceed to add these to the mix. Allow these to combine with the rest of your ingredients. At this point you must add in SALT. If you don't the flavors will not combine correctly. Again, you can always add more salt later but for starters try 2 tablespoons. I tend to opt for less salty than salty but if you're the other way around...


Next throw in the spinach. I used an entire container (it cooks down quickly I promise!). Pile it in and then throw the lid over the pot to let it steam and shrink. Then add more. Mix and let simmer for abo
ut 5 minutes. Throw in some slivered almonds. I used about half a bag (1 cup approx.) because I like that crunch! Feel free to adjust according to your likes. You're almost done!


Now is the tim
e to throw in some cayenne pepper. I like things spicy, so I used about 1 tablespoon (a little goes a long way). After mixing in the cayenne, get yourself a spoon and taste. You will most likely need to adjust the spices, maybe add in more salt, more cumin, whatever. These are YOUR lentils, so put your stamp on it! All done!


Serve with brown rice.

My brother says, "easy to make, healthy, reheats well, a complete meal. I make a big batch and it lasts me all week. Nom nom nom! Yum yum!"


Love

A

No comments:

Post a Comment